Friday, March 5, 2010

SEAHSFAS



Here is a new segment for you mom's who are looking for healthy snacks for after school - I call it Super Easy and Healthy Snacks For After School or SEAHSFAS.

This recipe is great for you and your kids. It's SUPER EASY and gives you a serving of dairy and fruit as well!

Easy Fruit Smoothies

1 cup skim or low fat milk
1 frozen *banana

Directions: Place milk and frozen banana into blender. Let sit 3-4 minutes. (This allows the shake to be thicker versus so liquidy.) Blend until smooth. Makes 16 oz.

*You can substitute 1 cup frozen berries for the banana. You may need to add a little sugar or Splenda when using berries. Or be creative and mix 1/2 cup strawberries with 1/2 banana!

Tip: If your bananas are ripening too fast before you can eat them all, freeze them. I always keep a bag of frozen bananas in my freezer for smoothies or protein shakes. Remove the peel and place in a Ziploc freezer bag. (I always break mine in half so I have a choice of using a whole banana or just a half.)

Happy Slurping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love smoothies! We have more frozen fruit in our freezer than meat! Whenever any fruit is on super sale we stock up on it. Great tip to make a thicker shake. I didn't know that!

Lelani said...

I also mix mine with light yogurt and blend fruits. my kids love a dash of cinnamon in their banana smoothie too.